Whiten your yellow teeth with effective treatment options in Richmond, VA
While it seems like a simple issue, discolored or yellow teeth can really have a negative impact on your self-confidence and cause you to smile less than you'd like. There are several reasons why teeth discoloration might occur, but fortunately, no matter what the cause, Dr. Olivia Hart and her team of dental professionals in Richmond, VA have treatment options to help you get that beautiful, pearly white smile you want.
Causes and how to whiten yellow teeth
Why do teeth turn yellow? There are several reasons that teeth can become dull and discolored.
- Consumption of pigmented foods and beverages: Some of our favorite foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, red wine, or tomato sauce can all deposit pigment molecules within the tiny tubes in the teeth, causing discoloration and staining
- Tobacco use: The tar and nicotine deposit pigments on your teeth when you smoke or chew tobacco
- Dental hygiene: Not brushing and flossing enough can lead to the buildup of plaque and tartar, which can make a tooth look stained
- Age: As you age, your teeth naturally become more yellow in appearance because the enamel gets thinner
- Certain medications: Chemotherapy, chlorhexidine, and tetracycline are all examples of medications that can cause the inner structure of the tooth to become discolored
- Fluoride consumption: Too much fluoride can cause fluorosis or the development of brown spots or white streaks on teeth
- Tooth disease: Decay and disease can cause a tooth to darken, as can metal tooth restorations that have been used to fix decayed teeth
Depending on the reason your teeth are yellow, Dr. Hart may recommend one or more of the following treatment options.
- Teeth cleaning: The first step before any whitening procedure should be professional teeth cleaning. After getting a teeth cleaning done, your teeth will be free of any yellow tartar and plaque that have built up and will be polished, which can make a big difference in your smile. When you have clean teeth, any other whitening treatments you use will be more effective and have more lasting and desired results.
- At-home whitening treatments: With professional-grade gels and custom-fit whitening trays, you can comfortably whiten your teeth at home with great results. The gel that Dr. Hart provides is an effective teeth stain remover and often achieves noticeable results in just a few applications.
- Porcelain veneers: For truly stubborn stains and discolorations that cannot be resolved with whitening agents, porcelain veneers can be a terrific option for enhancing your smile. They can also cover other imperfections with your teeth in the process, such as minor chips, misshapen teeth, or slightly misaligned or gapped teeth.
Take steps towards a brighter smile today
Even if you have really yellow teeth, you have options. Stop hiding your smile and call Richmond Family Dentistry to schedule a tooth whitening consultation today! Our Richmond, VA office can be reached at (804) 381-6238 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.