What you need to know about getting dental veneers in Richmond, VA
Look around any busy shop or restaurant in Richmond, VA and you will see dozens of pretty smiles. Some really stand out though. In many cases, those exceptional smiles are enhanced with veneers. Is this treatment a solution for your concerns? Dr. Olivia Hart answers common questions about dental veneers to help you decide.
What are veneers?
A veneer is a precisely crafted shell of strong ceramic material. It is contoured to fit over the front of a tooth, covering the edge and wrapping slightly at the sides. Veneers are cemented in place to improve the appearance of teeth that are readily visible when you speak or smile. Usually this involves two to eight upper front teeth. However, just one tooth may be treated, and teeth in the lower arch can also be veneered.
Are dental veneers for me?
Veneers may be a good choice for:
- Chips, cracks, pits, bumps, or grooves in tooth enamel. Veneers give a smooth, pearly finish.
- Obstinate discoloration. Veneers hide deep stains such as from medications, or naturally dark tooth enamel.
- Teeth with unusual shape. Veneers bring symmetry to teeth that look too short or simply have odd contours. Veneers can also be used to build up worn-down teeth. However, if you are a bruxer, you may need to wear a night guard to reduce risk of further damage.
- Gaps between teeth. Veneers are placed on teeth on both sides of the space to close the gap.
- "Instant" alignment. Veneers give the appearance of straight teeth with even spacing, without wearing braces.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
With good oral hygiene and some sensible lifestyle adjustments, veneers can help your smile look stunning for many years.
Who should I trust for new teeth veneers?
Many Richmond cosmetic dentists provide veneers, but quality of care and outcome varies a lot. Dr. Hart knows well that attractive design of veneers requires an artistic eye and consideration of all features of the face - not just the smile.