Holistic dentist offers effective root canal therapy alternatives in Richmond, VA
Root canal therapy has been used for many years in traditional dentistry to try to “save” a tooth that is deeply infected or damaged. It is up to a patient to decide if they would like to do a root canal treatment. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Olivia Hart from Richmond Family Dentistry offers her Richmond, VA area patients a possible alternative.
Why dentists perform root canals
Also called “endodontic therapy,” root canals are performed when a tooth is severely compromised due to one of the following:
- Traumatic injury
- Deep decay
- A major crack or chip in the tooth
- Multiple dental procedures on the same tooth
When someone opts to have a root canal, they often have severe pain before their treatment. While root canal therapy does relieve this pain, it might not eliminate the source of infection, inflammation, and toxins that are then free to circulate through your bloodstream and can wreak havoc throughout your body. Additionally, certain lifestyle factors can increase the risk of the treatment, such as smoking after a root canal.
How to cure a tooth infection without a root canal
Many patients ask us, “Are there alternatives to a root canal?” The answer is “Yes!”
In fact, there are alternatives to this treatment that help eliminate the bacteria and toxins that would otherwise be trapped in the decayed or infected tooth. The most common holistic alternatives to root canals are:
- Zirconia implants: These biocompatible tooth restorations provide unparalleled stability, function, and feel. They are used to replace your natural tooth root and are topped with a natural-looking crown.
- Ceramic bridges: These are also a good biocompatible tooth replacement option. The missing tooth is fabricated from natural-looking porcelain and then attached to your existing teeth.
- Dental crowns: A common question is whether you can have a crown without a root canal. In fact, most crowns do not need a root canal – they can be used any time a tooth is damaged and needs a boost in strength, to restore its original shape, or to give it a more natural appearance. Dr. Hart is pleased to offer same-day crowns so you can get back to your regular life as soon as possible.
Treatments offered at Richmond Family Dentistry
Depending on your specific oral health needs and what the cause of your pain is, Dr. Hart will recommend the appropriate treatment and discuss any questions you have about it before proceeding.
If you are interested in learning more about alternatives to root canal treatment that are suitable for your oral health needs, call us at (804) 381-6238 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment today!