Patient Education LibraryAt Richmond Family Dentistry, holistic dentist Dr. Olivia Hart and our team of dental specialists work together to help patients achieve beautiful smiles and optimal dental health. This also means that we take the health of your whole body into consideration in everything we do.
Our priority is keeping your teeth and gums healthy through prevention, and education for our patients on the best ways to take care of your oral health. This goes beyond just brushing and flossing, and includes information on the optimal diet for your oral health, how you can protect your teeth from issues such as clenching and grinding and understanding why we may recommend certain treatments such as the ALF appliance to help our younger patients’ smiles develop into their maximum potential.
We believe that when our patients are well-informed, they are more confident in taking care of their teeth and can be true partners in maintaining oral hygiene and creating healthy smiles for a lifetime. To this end, we offer a thorough dental library that is easily accessible for you to read more on topics of interest. Feel free to browse the patient education library below, and don’t hesitate to call our Richmond, VA office at (804) 381-6238 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions regarding your dental care and treatment options.
- The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT): the leading organization in science-based biological dentistry; their website contains a multitude of resources on safe, biocompatible dental practices
- Holistic Dental Association: An organization comprised of dental health practitioners and patients who have an interest in holistic health in dentistry
- International Academy of Biological Dentistry & Medicine: An international organization whose goal is to promote more informed dentistry that fully considers patients’ systemic health and healing
- IInternational Academy of Ceramic Implantology: A professional organization established around the belief that ceramic dental implants are a viable, safe, and predictable option for teeth replacement.
- Encyclopedia.com: Articles on the origins and benefits of biological/holistic dentistry
- Holistic & Biological Dentistry Overview: Information about holistic & biological dentistry from Dr. Andrew Weil
- "More than a Nice Smile" article in Richmond magazine: explains the negative impact that poor oral health can have on your entire body
Common Dental Toxins and Why We Avoid Them
- Dental Mercury Facts: Information from the IAOMT about the toxic effects of mercury and amalgam on the body
- Campaign for Mercury-Free Dentistry: A compilation of resources and information from Consumers for Dental Choice
- Toxic Metals & Silver Amalgams: Information from David Getoff on mercury and detoxification from heavy metals
- Going to the Dentist - What You Need to Know: Considerations and questions to ask about mercury, fluoride, and other topics when you are going to the dentist, provided by TALKinternational
- Safe Amalgam Removal: Facts and resources for patients who are considering getting amalgam restorations removed from their mouth
- Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART): Information about the IAOMT SMART protocol for the safe removal of mercury
- Fluoride Facts: Information from the IAOMT about the negative health effects of fluoride
- Fluoride Action Network: News and resources on the impact fluoride has on the body
- Fluorosis Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments: Information from WebMD about fluorosis
Nutrition and Lifestyle Information for Healthy Teeth and a Healthy Body
- Price-Pottinger Nutrition Foundation: Information and resources for patients who are interested in eating a traditionally based diet for optimal health and wellness
- Dr. Joseph Mercola: A wealth of resources and information on a variety of topics related to health, nutrition, and fitness for overall well-being
- Food and Diets: Blog articles from David Getoff on healthy nutrition and diet