Busy Richmond patients love efficient dental procedures like CERECFor Dr. Olivia Hart, top priority with any of the dental procedures she offers is quality service with beautiful results. When she can combine that core philosophy with techniques that save time for busy Richmond area patients, it is a win-win! CEREC technology is a terrific example.
Understanding CERECCEREC is an acronym for CEramic REConstruction, or Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. Dr. Hart uses CEREC technology to precisely design and fabricate lustrous porcelain dental restorations, while you wait.
If a tooth has a significant area of decay or trauma, you probably need a crown. A dental crown restores the shape and function of the tooth, and protects it from further damage. In the past, that meant two appointments, and favoring an interim crown for several weeks.
The CEREC technique begins in a similar fashion, with preparation of the tooth – removal of the damaged portion and shaping of the remaining structure to hold a crown. That is where the similarity ends:
- Next, Dr. Hart takes 3-D digital impressions of your mouth.
- CEREC's robust computer software transforms this information into a blueprint for your crown.
- Using that design, an in-house milling machine carves the crown from a solid block of strong, color-matched ceramic material.
- Dr. Hart utilizes a meticulous staining and firing method for a perfect blend with your natural dentition.
- The crown is cemented into place, and polished.
- In one visit, your smile is restored!