A Richmond dentist can replace a missing tooth to restore the function and beauty of your smile
If a missing tooth has ruined your smile, we have solutions. A missing tooth can affect the health as well as the appearance of your smile and may cause you to feel embarrassed when smiling or laughing. Bridges from Richmond Family Dental are a popular restorative procedure to replace missing teeth.
Reasons patients may require a bridge:
- Restore facial shape
- Fill in gaps caused by missing teeth
- Restore the ability to speak and chew properly
- Prevent remaining teeth from shifting
- Improve the appearance of your smile
Types of Bridges:
- Traditional Bridges – The most common type of bridge, they utilize a crown on each side of an artificial tooth. The crowns are placed over the teeth adjacent to the gap for support. Alternatively, bridges can be supported by dental implants.
- Cantilever Bridges – Used when remaining teeth are on only one side of the missing tooth.
Dental bridges usually require multiple visits to the dentist’s office. On the first visit, the anchoring teeth are prepared by removing a portion of the enamel to allow room for the crowns. Impressions are then taken. These will serve as the model for the bridge. You will receive a temporary bridge to wear while the bridge is being fabricated. On the second visit, we will remove the temporary bridge and replace it with the permanent bridge. Any necessary adjustments will be made to ensure proper fit.
While eating will become easier with a dental bridge, it can take a while to adapt to your new dental appliance. We recommend that you stick with soft foods until you feel comfortable chewing with the bridge.
Dental bridges do require a flossing aid to clean under the artificial tooth, and it is important to maintain proper daily oral hygiene. This ensures that the remaining teeth remain healthy and help support the bridge. We recommend twice daily brushing and nightly flossing along with a balanced diet to extend the life of your bridge.
Dental bridges from Richmond Family Dentistry are an excellent choice to replace missing teeth and restore your smile. To find out more about bridges and other restorative dentistry treatments offered at our office, call us today to schedule an appointment.
Back to Dental Crowns & Bridges Page