Ceramic implants restore missing teeth without metal at holistic dental practice Glen Allen, VA
Losing a tooth is more than an inconvenience – it can cause issues with how you eat, how you speak, and perhaps most importantly, your self-confidence. At Richmond Family Dentistry in Glen Allen, VA we understand how difficult it can be to choose a tooth replacement option after losing a tooth to extraction, trauma, decay, or disease. Ceramic implants are one of the most common choices for replacing lost teeth at our holistic dental practice, and for good reason. Ceramic implants are the best substitute for a natural tooth, and with the use of biocompatible materials and holistic treatment processes rather than metals, the tooth replacement process will not take a toll on your health.
Ceramic implants explained
Often considered the “gold standard” of tooth replacement options, Ceramic implants are used to mimic the function of a natural tooth root. The implant is surgically placed in your jaw, where it then actually fuses with your jawbone in a process called “osseointegration.” The result is a strong, firm foundation for a replacement tooth to be placed on top. With a ceramic implant, you don’t need to worry about avoiding certain foods or taking care of it any differently than your natural teeth. Even better, when you take care of your oral health, implants can last for the rest of your lifetime.
How ceramic implants are different at our holistic practice
When it comes to dental restoration materials, not everything is created equal! For many years, titanium was the primary material used in ceramic implants. However, titanium can cause a series of negative reactions in the body, from allergies to inflammation, and can also lead to negative aesthetic effects such as graying of your gums in the treatment area. If you already have other metal restorations in your mouth, such as amalgam fillings, the titanium from an implant can also interact with that metal restoration and cause “galvanic toxicity,” which creates unpleasant symptoms such as insomnia, brain overstimulation, the taste of metal in your mouth, or feelings of itchiness or inflammation. Research has also shown that exposure to metal, and specifically metal implants, can be a contributing factor in the development of autoimmune disease.
For patients seeking a more natural option but who want the stability and function of a ceramic implant, zirconia implants are a great option. Zirconia has many benefits, including:
- Biocompatibility – it is a non-metal material and will not cause inflammation, allergic reactions or rejection by the body; it has been used in other medical applications for many years
- Strength – it can withstand the bite force in all areas of your mouth, making it a good option for any tooth that has been lost, no matter where it is located in the mouth
- Stability – zirconia is resistant to corrosion and scratching, making it durable and long-lasting
- Visually appealing – the white material that the implant is made from looks natural and indistinguishable from the rest of your smile; it is also unlikely for a gray line at your gums to appear
- Healthy for your gums – zirconia is more resistant to the buildup of plaque than titanium, which is better for your long-term oral health
- Optimal for osseointegration – the zirconia material naturally fuses together with the bone in a similar manner that titanium does, forming a sturdy foundation for the tooth restoration that has a success rate of up to 97 percent.
- Reliability – zirconia implants have been in use since 1987 and have been growing in popularity recently due to a greater number of holistic dental practices
Existing Patients call (804) 740-4485 or
Schedule an Appointment today.
Another important component of the placement of a ceramic implant is the treatment process itself. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Hart aims to minimize the negative side effects of the treatment process while harnessing your body’s natural healing processes. The human body is built with seemingly endless ways to recover and heal on its own, and with holistic dental methods, we are able to utilize those natural processes to expedite your recovery. With the aid of homeopathic treatments, lasers, and other tools to help minimize the stress that the implant procedure places on your body, you can heal more rapidly and get back to your normal life as soon as possible after treatment.
Schedule a visit with us today
If you have lost a tooth or are facing an extraction, we can help guide you in the process of choosing the tooth replacement option that is best for your individual situation. Many factors go into making the best choice for you, including your overall oral health, the quality of your jawbone, the health of the surrounding teeth, and your budget. We are here to answer all your questions and help restore your smile back to its original appearance and function.
Dr. Olivia Hart is the only Glen Allen, VA dentist that takes a precautionary approach when it comes to metal implants and instead offers zirconia implants to her patients. Call us today to schedule an appointment at our Glen Allen, VA office! Our number is (804) 381-6238.