Two common restorations available at Dr. Olivia Hart and Dr. Billingsley's office in Richmond are dental crowns and dental bridges. While somewhat similar, both of these restorations have their own purpose in general and cosmetic dentistry. Dental crowns are primarily used for the protection of natural teeth, while dental bridges are used to replace missing teeth within a smile. Dr. Hart and Dr. Billingsley can consult with patients to determine if they are appropriate candidates for each, and determine if they are the best restoration for each patient's individualized situation and needs.
When a tooth has become broken or weakened, it may require a dental crown to protect it from further damage. A cracked or chipped tooth may use a dental crown to cover it, and a tooth that has recently undergone a root canal may require a crown. This is due to the weakening of the tooth afterwards, which can make it easier to chip, crack, or split. Crowns are made out of porcelain materials, which are strong, beautiful, and natural looking. This can help cosmetically maintain a person's natural smile.
Using the surrounding teeth, dental bridges stretch across areas of missing teeth and support false teeth in-between. False teeth, called pontics, are bonded to dental crowns on each side, and the teeth on each side support the structure, thus "bridging the gap." Missing teeth can be unsightly and result in the shifting and changing of the patient's existing teeth in their smile. By placing a dental bridge, it will not only fill the gap left behind from tooth loss, but also maintain the chewing efficiency that they once enjoyed. Also made of porcelain, these restorations are strong and natural looking.
Dr. Olivia Hart and Dr. Billingsley offer dental bridges and dental crowns, along with many other restorations that are used in general and cosmetic dentistry to improve and enhance patient smiles. Learning more about these restorations can help you better decide which ones you are interested in having placed to make positive changes to your smile. Call her practice today for a consultation appointment and find out if bridges, crowns, and other restorative options are best for you.
- Replace Missing Tooth Richmond - A Richmond dentist can replace a missing tooth to restore the function and beauty of your smile
- Partial Dental Bridges Richmond - Richmond dentist explains partial dentures and fixed dental bridges
- Dental Bridges Charlottesville VA - Patients in Charlottesville and Richmond, VA ask, "What are dental bridges?"
- Dental Crowns Fredericksburg - Fredericksburg area dentist describes dental crowns
- Construction of Dental Crowns Charlottesville - Charlottesville area dentist explains the construction of dental crowns
- Dental Bridges Richmond - Richmond area dentist explains dental bridges
- Dental Crowns Richmond - Benefitting the smile with the right dental crowns from your Richmond dentist
- Dental Crowns Charlottesville - A guide to dental crowns and bridges in Charlottesville